Who we are
The Nonprofit Association of Oregon is the statewide nonprofit membership organization representing and supporting charitable nonprofits of all sizes, geographic locations and missions across Oregon.
NAO’s mission is to serve public benefit nonprofits by strengthening the collective voice, leadership, and capacity of nonprofits to enrich the lives of all Oregonians. NAO’s vision is that Oregon’s nonprofits are visible and valued as essential contributors to society. We are deeply invested in our core values: Collaboration, Equity and Inclusion, Excellence, Impact, Learning, Service and Stewardship.
Download About NAO info sheet
See Contact NAO below for contact information.
What we do
NAO ensures a future in which Oregon nonprofits are visible and valued as essential contributors to our society. We strive to connect, improve and advance all nonprofits to help build a thriving and vital Oregon.
NAO serves the needs of the nonprofit sector through our work in advocacy, convening, disseminating Principles and Practices for Nonprofit Excellence, capacity building and thought leadership.
NAO offers two types of membership:
- Nonprofit membership for 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations
- Affiliate membership for businesses that offer services and products to nonprofit organizations; as well as other 501(c) nonprofits, government agencies, individuals, etc.
Membership with NAO offers charitable nonprofits access to resources; attend high quality and relevant professional and volunteer development events at significantly reduced rates; network and learn with other nonprofits; connect with businesses who support nonprofits through cost-savings services and products; and amplify your voice with decision makers.
Affiliate membership with NAO offers businesses, other entities and individuals who support the work of nonprofits to connect with and be part of NAO’s network. This may include businesses who provide products and services to the nonprofit sector, organizations who support nonprofits as part of their community engagement work, or individuals who volunteer in service to the nonprofit sector. Business Affiliate Members at the Verified Level have the opportunity to potentially partner with NAO to offer cost-savings products and services to nonprofits and be part of NAO’s Referral Service.
What we offer
- Learning & Professional Development: NAO offers a wide variety of professional and volunteer development learning opportunities for nonprofit leaders and their staff. NAO regularly offers sessions in the Portland area, Central Oregon, Southern Oregon and in a specific menu of rural locations across the state. Additional workshops, webinars, and online resources ensure that nonprofits all over Oregon have access to these valuable resources and opportunities. Learn more.
- Referral Service: When nonprofits seek consulting services to meet challenges, support their growth and build effectiveness, NAO can match a nonprofit to a vetted expert consultant or service provider. These are NAO business affiliate members that specialize in serving nonprofits in the areas of finance, legal, HR, fundraising, board development, capacity building, DEI and other nonprofit services. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for your referral needs!
- Cost Savings on Services and Products: NAO forges partnerships with NAO Business Verified Affiliate Members who want to support nonprofits by offering discounts on services/products. Nonprofits can save money by taking advantage of these cost-savings opportunities. Learn more.
- Convenings: NAO provides opportunities for nonprofits and those that support the nonprofit sector to convene, network, discuss issues, offer solutions, and share best practices. NAO frequently partners with local, statewide and national networks, funders and research partners to convene these gatherings to create meaningful dialogue and discussion. Learn more.
- Thought Leadership: NAO provides thought leadership at the overall nonprofit sector level about and for the nonprofit sector. We lead the effort to conduct, collate and share key research information about and for the nonprofit sector. We also ensure that Oregon’s nonprofits and the general public have relevant and timely information about changing ideas, opportunities and issues that affect nonprofits around the state.
- Advocacy: NAO amplifies the nonprofit sector’s voice through public policy and advocacy work on behalf of Oregon’s nonprofit sector. NAO directly advocates on behalf of all nonprofits, as well as catalyzes important conversations with policy makers and among nonprofits. We work to raise the awareness of nonprofits’ work, issues and need for policy change. We educate and inform policy makers and others at the local, state and federal levels to ensure that nonprofits can continue to do the direct service work they do for the benefit of our communities across Oregon. Learn more.
Through these programs and services, NAO helps to connect, improve and advance the nonprofit sector across Oregon.
Join us and be part of an effective and connected network that is doing great things to improve and advance Oregon’s nonprofit sector!
Contact NAO - Get involved!
Questions and interest about NAO membership.
Phone: 503-239-4001 Press 2
Questions and interest in NAO training opportunities.
Phone: 503-239-4001 Press 3
Needs for information or resources and referrals to service providers.
Phone: 503-239-4001 Press 4
All Other Inquiries:
Phone: 503-239-4001 Press 5