Steve Patty, PhD, Founder & Principal
Dialogues In Action, LLC
Every program designed to serve people needs evaluation that is meaningful and engaging. Exceptional evaluation not only proves the value of the program to stakeholders, but also improves the program effect among those it is intended to serve. It can be powerful and formative for any organization—an act of true leadership.
Too often, however, evaluation fails to give us a crisp and clear picture of impact. It is frequently burdensome, perfunctory, or unwieldy—a chore to perform, not an exciting and incisive discovery of the keys to causing human impact. We tend to measure the wrong things in the wrong ways, making our evaluation inert. How can we evaluate better? How do we:
- Design simple, elegant, and meaningful evaluation?
- Develop leadership capacity among staff through evaluation?
- Focus on impact and not just output?
- Communicate results convincingly and with credibility?
- Mobilize stakeholders to engage and staff to make data-driven program decisions?
In this workshop, participants will learn critical approaches to evaluation and how to use two practical tools—the Heart Triangle (a model to illuminate features of human impact) and the Evaluation Windows (a model to design a balanced and meaningful data-gathering approach). Each participant will also:
- Gain confidence in evaluation methodology (sampling, survey design, protocol development, data gathering and analysis, reliability and validity issues, etc.)
- Design or renovate one of their own program evaluations
- Discover how to develop leadership capacity through evaluation
- Gain practical ideas for using findings to engage audiences and shape trajectories for the future
About the Presenter
Steve Patty has over 20 years of experience working in the field of evaluation. He holds a PhD in Educational Leadership and has been trained at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. He is the former Associate Director of Doctoral Programs in business at the International University of Monaco, where he continues to teach doctoral courses in research design. Dr. Patty has trained over 400 nonprofit managers in evaluation design and has consulted with organizations and foundations throughout North America on program evaluation, including the YMCA of the USA, National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges, Community-School Partnerships, and Lilly Endowment Inc., among others. He is a published author and frequent conference speaker.
Event fee includes continental breakfast.
45 SW Ankeny Street
Portland, OR 97204
|NAO Members||$ 85.00|