Bliss Sequoia Insurance & Risk Advisors is a local Oregon-based company and is driven by a true desire to support the charitable organizations that make the Northwest a better place to live. Bliss Sequoia’s representatives are not simply insurance agents. They are advisors, and they will work for your organization’s best interest.
Why Insure Nonprofit Directors & Officers?
In today’s increasingly litigious environment, nonprofits must protect themselves. Nonprofit Directors & Officers have a personal liability exposure by virtue of the management decisions made for their organization and its financial assets. Obtaining Directors & Officers (D&O) insurance is a best business practice for any nonprofit, and one NAO highly recommends.
Choosing NAO’s Directors & Officers Insurance Program not only helps protect your organization’s assets, but it provides legal defense and risk management advising. An important highlight of this program is Prior Acts coverage. This insures your organization for unknown circumstances in your past; going all the way back to organizational inception. Additionally, you’ll have access to a complimentary toll-free hotline for your employment inquiries.
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- $250,000 Fiduciary Liability & Workplace Violence sublimit included for no charge
- Cost of legal defense is in addition to limit of liability at no additional charge
- Prior Acts coverage
- Volunteers, leased, seasonal and part time employees are included as insured persons
- Third party coverage
- Coverage for suits brought by qualifying independent contractors for Employment Practices Liability
- Employed lawyers coverage
- Definition of claim includes non-monetary relief
- $150,000 sublimit for defense for Fair Labor Standards Acts (FLSA) claims
- Personal injury coverage backstop
- Copyright/Trademark coverage
- Order of payment wording
- Crisis fund for reputational damage done due to lost or stolen donor data
Risk management tools include:
- Access to a toll-free hotline service providing complimentary telephone consultation pertaining to Employment Practice matters
- Sample workplace policies providing guidance with preserving employment-at-will status, complying with the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act and prohibiting harassment in the workplace
- A guide to help avoid workplace claims. The guide contains general information about employment claims, hiring process, pre-employment testing and other potential workplace issues
- Jackson Lewis will offer discounted billing rates to Great American insureds to assist in developing preventive practices, preparing employment handbooks and training supervisors.
NAO members get special program pricing. Many nonprofits have experienced significant cost-savings through the program.
Actual NAO Member savings with the Program:
- Largest overall percent savings - 64%
- Largest monetary savings - $1,963
- Largest deductible savings - $24,000
- Directors & Officers Liability Claim Example
- Private donors filed a misappropriation of funds lawsuit against a foundation’s board alleging the foundation did not purpose their donations to align with the foundation’s mission
- Employment Practices Liability Claim Example
- A CFO filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against her former employer alleging she was terminated because of her race. The employer had documented the termination was for poor performance and attendance.
- Fiduciary Liability Claim Example
- An employee filed a failure to disclose lawsuit against his employer alleging he was not informed his medical coverage was reduced when his employer changed medical insurance companies resulting in out-of-pocket medical expenses to the employee.
Without Directors & Officers Insurance in place these claim examples would be the financial burden of the organization and board. The cost to the organization is dependent upon claim specifics. The above examples could range from $10,000 to over $250,000 in legal defense costs, awards and settlement.
Log In to the Members Only Area to access contact details for Bliss Sequoia's representative and more details about the benefit.
Need help creating your individual user account or linking your existing user account to your organization’s membership? Access this user account info sheet for instructions. Contact Member Services at email@example.com for any questions about how to access this member benefit.