Effective nonprofits invest in their leadership. They plan for transition, and are agile in order to be responsive to provide best services and achieve the organization’s mission. Leadership is developed internally as well as externally. Values have been articulated and practices are expressed in policies and team building, and staff are engaged in decision making.
Professional Development and Learning:
- Becoming a Leader - Leading Your Own Development - NonprofitReady (Video)*
- Leading a Nonprofit Organization - Tips and Tools for EDs and Team Leaders - Strengthening Nonprofits (Guide)
- Leading with Intent: 2017 National Index of Nonprofit Board Practices - BoardSource (Report)
- Nonprofit Executive Director Role & Resources - Boardsource (Guide)
- The Importance of Leadership in Nonprofit Organziations - Third Sector Company (Article)
- Ready to Lead? Next Generation Leaders Speak Out - The Annie E. Casey Foundation (Report)
Culture, Equity & Inclusion
- Equity and Inclusion Handbook - shared with generous permission from the City of Ottawa and the City for All Women Initiative (CAWI) (Guide)
- Building a Race Equity Culture - ProInspire (Guide)
- Diversity Toolkit: A Guide to Discussing Identity, Power and Privilege - University of Southern California (Tool)
- Lessons from the Cultural Competence Learning Initiative - CompassPoint (Report)
- Race to Lead: Confronting the Nonprofit Racial Leadership Gap - RacetoLead.org (Report)
- Race to Lead: Women of Color in the Nonprofit Sector - RacetoLead.org (Report)
- Sample Cultural Equity Statement - Americans for the Arts (Template)
- Support an Inclusive Culture - NonprofitReady (Curriculum)*
- Ten Lessons for Taking Leadership on Racial Equity - The Aspen Institute (Guide)
- What Is Culture - Mammoth HR (Article)
- Executive Transitions - Grantcraft (Tool)
- Will We Get There Hire by Hire? Reflections on Executive Leadership and Transition Data Over 15 Years - CompassPoint (Report)
Check out NAO's Directory of vetted consultants and service providers offering expertise in this specific resource category.
To utilize resources that have (*), create a complimentary account offered through NonprofitReady.org.