Effective Nonprofits have clear visions, missions, values and goals that are informed by and communicated to the community and constituents. Clarity in these areas provides a framework for organizational strategy; focuses how work is carried out and resources are deployed and how the organization will change over time. Collaboration is integral in achieving an organization’s mission.
Professional Development and Learning:
Mission & Vision
- Advancing the Mission: Tools for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - The Annie E. Casey Foundation (Guide)
- Defining Mission and Vision - Foundation Center (Video)
- Mission Vision Values Statements - New Hampshire Center for Nonprofits (Guide)
- Nonprofit Corporate Purpose Statements - Wagenmaker Law (Blog)
- Nonprofit Mission Statements vs. Vision Statements - NonprofitReady (Video)*
- What Makes An Effective Nonprofit - Fidelity Charitable (Tool)
- Best Practices - Fact or Myth? - NAO & Public Interest Management Group (White Paper-PDF)
- Business Planning for Nonprofits - National Council of Nonprofits (Guide)
- Business Planning for Nonprofits: What It Is and Why It Matters - The Bridgespan Group (Article)
- Nonprofit Disaster Plan - Your Blueprint for Survival - NAO & Columbia Bank (White Paper-PDF)
- The Ultimate Guide to Writing a Nonprofit Business Plan - Donorbox (Blog)
- Charting a New Path Forward: Insights & Reflections from BoardSource’s Strategic Planning Efforts - BoardSource (Article)
- Nonprofit Strategic Planning and Frameworks - BoardSource (Resource Guide)
- Strategic Planning for Nonprofits - The National Council of Nonprofits (Resource Guide)
- The Ultimate Guide to Nonprofit Strategic Planning - Bloomerang (Resource Guide)
Check out NAO's Directory of vetted consultants and service providers offering expertise in this specific resource category.
To utilize resources that have (*), create a complimentary account offered through NonprofitReady.org.