If a nonprofit pays independent contractors, they may have to file Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation, to report payments for services performed for the nonprofit.

In this brief, the IRS provides an overview of when to file form 1099-NEC for each person in the course of business to whom has been paid at least $600.